The Appearance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Appearance

Orange County rock group. more info visit: myspace.com/theappearance

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Problem with Music

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

The Problem with Music Empty
PostSubject: The Problem with Music   The Problem with Music Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2008 3:24 am

The title is not my own. It's in fact from an article written in 1993 by Steve Albini and I just happened to come across it. I'm always looking for literature about the music industry and it's pitfalls in hopes of getting a better picture on all the shit that's out there. From Nagger and Brandstetter's "The Music Business (In Plain English)" to Moses Avalon's "Confessions of a Record Producer". I've even attempted reading the almost Bible-length "This Business of Music" by M William Krasilovsky. It was a little over my head and read pretty much like the shit-filled recording contracts that it tried to explain. After years of reading, I could tell you the difference between an artist and mechanical royalty, explain the term "controlled composition" and maybe even negotiate a few points on my own (given I had any negotiating skills). I never understood why I read these books and even with all this I can't say I've become wiser or less of a target, but I am now less shell-shocked when the shit finally hits the fan. The way recording contracts are written could very well be considered an art form. A world where up means down and 2+2= 0. The math alone in these contracts can have the most experienced accountant reaching for the bottle of asprin.

All books and articles that outline the music business are met with some element of criticism. Almost like no man is qualified to write on the subject or the author is merely a disgruntled whiner pissed at the world that his best song never broke the Billboard 200. The truth is, literature of this sort is written over-zealously to make sure it's point is made. The authors are not exactly exaggerating but merely describing the worst of all worst cases. Most of the time, 7 out of the 10 shittiest possibilities will happen to the unfortunate souls searching for their place in the music world. Steve Albini's article, "The Problem with Music" doesn't really go through all the terms that bands see in their contracts. It reads more like a bedtime story. Section II. of the article could have been appropriately titled, "The Rise and Fall of Your Favorite Band: In 500 Words or Less" At the end of the article, Albini's displays a balance sheet answering the age old question every musician asks, "Where'd all my money go?" Yes some of the mentioned expenses sound a little ridiculous and overboard (ex. New fancy potato-shaped bass guitar: $1,000) but they're not far off from the truth. If not informative, I at least found it entertaining to read.

I love cliche sayings. One that always comes to mind is: "Knowing the bad gives us a better appreciation for the good". If you're an artist, I am in no way attempting to discourage you. After all this I still truly believe in what I do even after having a small but bitter taste for myself thus far. You also may or may not care what really goes on behind closed doors in the music industry but it never hurts just to look. It will definitely give you a better appreciation for the bands and artists that become successful in the industry and may even explain why your favorite band broke up or waited so long to release their next record.

Steve Albini
Back to top Go down
http://alnhoakes.blogspot.com

The Problem with Music
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Appearance  :: MEMBERS :: MEMBERS-
Jump to: